The New Milford River Trail Association is an all-volunteer, charitable non-profit organization that supports a vibrant, healthy region by promoting the creation of multi-use trails, bike lanes, walkways, and other measures that make it safer and easier to walk or bicycle in New Milford for recreation and transportation.
HOW WE PLAN TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
- Complete a multi-use trail along the Housatonic River in New Milford.
- Draw residents and visitors wishing to bike and walk along the river into our central business district.
- Raise awareness of the recreational value of one of our greatest assets, the Housatonic River, by expanding access for walkers and bicyclists.
- Work closely with the Western New England Greenway on the establishment of a bike route that will connect Canada with New York City.
- Assist agencies administering the trail with volunteer maintenance and installation of trail amenities such as benches and signage.
- Promote public and private investment in infrastructure that improves opportunities for walking and biking
- Remind residents of the health benefits of walking and biking.
- Educate bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorists on how to safely share the road.
SOME PROJECTS, ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND ACTIVITIES HAVE INCLUDED:
- Purchasing 15 bicycles and helmets for the high school to support their bicycle safety training in PE class, as well as providing a certified instructor to train PE teachers
- Collaborating with the town to provide bike racks in parks and in the downtown area (2014)
- Raising funds to plant native trees and shrubs along Patriot’s Way (which connects the riverfront to the downtown area ($5000 donated to the town in 2021)
- Cleaning of weeds and trash along the Riverwalk at Young’s Field
- Clipping of invasive bittersweet vines in Native Meadows Preserve to prevent them from choking out trees (two times so far in 2022)
- Leading a trail cleanup at Sega Meadows Park for CT Trails Day
- Providing a Pedestrian Safety Plan to the State of Connecticut for Routes 7 and 202
- Starting in June 2022: Working with the Youth Agency to fix up bicycles for their bicycle giveaway program (John Gallagher from Bike Express retired)
- Leading an educational walk for CT Trails Day on New Milford’s Industrial heritage
- Organizing Casual Group Bicycle Rides