The New Milford River Trail Association is an all-volunteer, charitable non-profit organization that supports a vibrant, healthy region by promoting the creation of multi-use trails, bike lanes, walkways, and other measures that make it safer and easier to walk or bicycle for recreation and transportation.
HOW WE PLAN TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
- Complete a multi-use trail along the Housatonic River in New Milford.
- Draw residents and visitors wishing to bike and walk along the river into our central business district.
- Raise awareness of the recreational value of one of our greatest assets, the Housatonic River, by expanding access for walkers and bicyclists.
- Work closely with the Western New England Greenway on the establishment of a bike route that will connect Canada with New York City.
- Assist agencies administering the trail with volunteer maintenance and installation of trail amenities such as benches and signage.
- Promote public and private investment in infrastructure that improves opportunities for walking and biking
- Remind residents of the health benefits of walking and biking.
- Educate bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorists on how to safely share the road.
SOME PROJECTS, ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND ACTIVITIES HAVE INCLUDED:
- Purchasing 15 bicycles and helmets for the high school to support their bicycle safety training in PE class, as well as providing a certified instructor to train PE teachers
- Collaborating with the town to provide bike racks in parks and in the downtown area (2014)
- Raising funds to plant native trees and shrubs along Patriot’s Way (which connects the riverfront to the downtown area ($5000 donated to the town in 2021)
- Cleaning of weeds and trash along the Riverwalk at Young’s Field
- Clipping of invasive bittersweet vines in Native Meadows Preserve to prevent them from choking out trees (two times so far in 2022)
- Leading a trail cleanup at Sega Meadows Park for CT Trails Day
- Providing a Pedestrian Safety Plan to the State of Connecticut for Routes 7 and 202
- Starting in June 2022: Working with the Youth Agency to fix up bicycles for their bicycle giveaway program (John Gallagher from Bike Express retired)
- Leading an educational walk for CT Trails Day on New Milford’s Industrial heritage
- Organizing Casual Group Bicycle Rides